The UN supports Lao PDR as the Government confirms two COVID-19 cases in the country
13 June 2020
“Together with the Resident Coordinator’s Office and members of the UN Country Team in Lao PDR, the World Health Organization (WHO) has been supporting the Government of Lao PDR to prepare and respond to COVID-19 cases when they are confirmed. The UN in Lao PDR is committed to continue supporting the Government’s response to COVID-19 and expresses appreciation of the health workers’ dedicated work”, Ms. Sara Sekkenes, the UN Resident Coordinator to Lao PDR, stated.
On the role each of us can play in ensuring the virus is contained, Ms. Sekkenes also reiterated: “To keep yourself and your family safe, try to stay at home as much as possible. Avoid public events like weddings or festivals and don’t organize one”.
Now is the critical time for efficient and early collective action to trace and detect cases and contain the virus. Make sure you follow these measures to protect yourself and others:
- Stay at home as much as possible and only go out if necessary;
- Avoid big gatherings and crowded places;
- Frequently clean hands using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
- If you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth with your elbow or a tissue, because COVID-19 spreads through small droplets from the nose and mouth;
- Stay 2 meters away from other people, especially when out in public;
- If you have a cough, fever, or difficulty breathing, call 166 for advice in Lao, Chinese or English on what you should do.
Make sure you follow the Lao Government recommendations. In particular, stay at home for 14 days if you arrived in Lao PDR from a country with confirmed COVID-19 cases. Avoid large gatherings, such as traditional festivals, trade and sports events, weddings and entertainment activities to celebrate the Lao New Year.
The UN in Lao PDR stands together with Lao people in this time of uncertainty and concerns for the wellbeing of their families and friends. We advise you to remain calm and make sure your family and friends follow the preventive measures. Don’t spread rumours. Use and share the information from the Government, WHO, and other official sources.
An outbreak of a disease, including COVID-19, is a multi-dimensional challenge which may affect not only the health sector, but education, nutrition, industry, reducing inequalities and other integral parts of the sustainable development agenda. The UN in Lao PDR is committed to continue supporting Lao PDR in the response to COVID-19 for the wellbeing of all people in Lao PDR.
COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by a virus which was first found in humans in China in December 2019. With the virus spreading in many countries, on 11 March 2020, the COVID-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic by WHO. As of 24 March 03:51 GMT+7, there are 334,981 confirmed COVID-19 cases in 190 countries of the world and 14,652 deaths.
Read the WHO statement: Ministry of Health and WHO respond to the first case of COVID-19 in Laos.
For more information, please visit:
- Centre of Information and Education for Health of Lao PDR
- UN page on preventive measures : Lao and English
- UNICEF advice: Lao and English
- WHO global website on COVID-19 (English)
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org (WHO Lao PDR)